Rakuten Insight Global, Inc. ("Rakuten Insight" or "we"), incorporated in Japan with its head office at 1-14-1 Tamagawa, Setagaya-ku, Tokyo 158-0094, provides various companies and organizations ("Clients") with consumer awareness information and opinions regarding services and products, which are gathered from market research surveys conducted and coordinated by Rakuten Insight ("Surveys").
Such information from Surveys as reflects the past and present will enable Clients with Rakuten Insight to gain insight into and make good decisions about the future. We believe that each of your contributions to the Surveys from each perspective will empower society as well as Clients. This is why Rakuten Insight seeks to gather various opinions and feelings of different persons with different standpoints. Variety of opinions and feelings is the key value we deliver to society.
Throughout the operation of our business, Rakuten Insight understands and respects the privacy and private life of all users (including members of Rakuten Insight as well as visitors of Rakuten Insight websites and collectively "Users" or "you"). In conducting the above business, with respect to privacy and protection of personal data, Rakuten Insight will comply with any applicable laws concerning the handling of personal data and also the ICC/ESOMAR Code, which is the code of conduct for the marketing research industry.
Personal data ("Personal Data") means any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person. Some categories of Personal Data will reveal the User’s information as to indicate the physical or mental health or condition, race, political opinions, religious beliefs or other beliefs of a similar nature, the commission or alleged commission by the User of any offence, and such personal data ("Sensitive Personal Data") can be used in a discriminating way and therefore must be highly protected. Rakuten Insight will also adhere to applicable laws when collecting or processing any other data that the applicable law categorizes as "sensitive" or "special categories".
By creating an account, the User hereby acknowledges and agrees to the processing of the User’s Personal Data in accordance with this Policy and where applicable, the terms of the Member Agreement.
- The types of Personal Data Rakuten Insight collects include:
- "Basic profile", which consists of User’s contact details (such as e-mail address, name, date of birth, gender, physical address, phone number, and if necessary payment information) and basic attribute information suggesting your lifestyle or relating to your life stage (such as relates to your family, education, income, employment, and, only when absolutely necessary, race);
- "Detailed Profile", which contains more detailed information about your lifestyle and life stage than Basic Profile;
- "Survey Data" of the answers you made in a Survey;
- Records and history of your usage of Rakuten Insight services, including which surveys you answered and when, how many points have been received and consumed;
- Inquiry and opinions to Rakuten Insight; and
- Cookie data (see the following section for details.) and server logs which Rakuten Insight automatically collects when its services are accessed.
- Rakuten Insight may collect directly from a User Sensitive Personal Data, especially racial information in Basic Profile in some countries (e.g. Singapore, Malaysia, India, and U.S.), and health information in Detailed Profile and Surveys, where permitted under applicable local laws and if the collection is absolutely necessary. In that case, Rakuten Insight will obtain explicit consent from the User before collecting Sensitive Personal Data unless otherwise permitted by local laws for the processing of such Sensitive Personal Data.
- Rakuten Insight does not collect Personal Data of persons less than 16 years of age, as Rakuten Insight’s services are not directed at persons less than 16 years of age.
- Rakuten Insight and, in case (4), Clients will use Personal Data for the following purposes:
- Create and maintain your membership, using your Basic Profile;
- Screen and send appropriate surveys to candidates, using your Basic Profile;
- Further screen and choose such candidates, using your Detailed Profile;
- Conduct a survey, which may be initiated by Rakuten Insight and/or Clients, collect and analyze your answers in a survey to find insights;
- Provide you with rewards Rakuten Insight offers, using your Basic Profile and Records;
- Respond to your inquiries, when Rakuten Insight receives them;
- Develop and improve the services of Rakuten Insight, using various Personal Data we obtain; and
- Prevent fraud, malicious activities, and any losses associated with such, using various Personal Data we have.
- The Personal Data contained in a Survey, including Basic Profile and Detailed Profile, will be processed and used after aggregation or pseudonimization by deleting at least such direct identifiers as names, addresses, e-mail addresses, etc., so that Rakuten Insight and the Client will not be able to and will not link any other data source and reach Users directly through that processed information. However, when such direct identifiers or contact details are necessary, Rakuten Insight and/or Client may collect and use in that specific Survey with appropriate communication with you including notification to draw the User’s special attention beforehand.
- In addition to paragraph 1 and 2 of this section, we also notify you of our legal basis for the processing (the legitimate reason required in the General Data Protection Regulation) as follows:
- Our performance of a contract;
- Our and/or Client’s legitimate interests; and
- Your consent in some cases especially for the paragraph 1 (3) of this section.
If we ask for your consent to process your Personal Data, we will ensure that you receive all the necessary information about the processing and the relevant purpose before your consent and that you may withdraw your consent at any time.
- Our legitimate interests to process the Personal Data consist of our mission to conduct fair Surveys, in which we are to collect various and different opinions and feelings, and to get insight in the market and society.
- Because Rakuten Insight and our Clients are different and independent businesses, Rakuten Insight cannot be held responsible for any Client’s misuses, leakages, and other data breaches beyond reasonable controls of Rakuten Insight. Rakuten Insight strongly recommends that Users carefully read through privacy statements and policies of the Client and acknowledge the controller(s), the purposes of use of your Personal Data, and your rights before answering a Survey.
- Your provision of Personal Data to Rakuten Insight is voluntary; however, in the event that you choose not to provide Rakuten Insight with certain Personal Data necessary for our performance of the contract and our legitimate interests, you will not be able to gain access to our services and/or enjoy the benefits of having your membership.
- Your Basic Profile and Detailed Profile can be edited, corrected, and for Detailed Profile, deleted at any time when you have access to your account on My Page. Rakuten Insight will always respect your choice regarding what kinds of Personal Data you would like us to base our candidate screening process on; However, the more information we have about you, the greater number of opportunities you will receive to respond to Surveys and receive rewards from Rakuten Insight.
- If requested in the way described in "Inquiries/Complaints", Rakuten Insight will provide you with the registered data of your Basic Profile and Detailed Profile in a portable format.
- Additionally, you may exercise your rights to make requests in writing and in the manner described in the "Inquiries/Complaints" section, and Rakuten Insight will respond to your requests such as the following:
- Requesting disclosure and receipt of a copy of your Personal Data;
- Notification of the purposes of Rakuten Insight’s use of your Personal Data;
- Requesting to change, stop using, and delete your Personal Data which is incorrect or misused;
- Objecting to processing of Personal Data; and
- any other request which the applicable laws grant to you the right to make.
- Notwithstanding the provisions hereof, Rakuten Insight may not be able respond to your requests related to the personal data processed in accordance with paragraph 2 of the preceding section, because such data will not be able to identify you afterwards.
- Rakuten Insight will retain your Personal Data for as long as is necessary for the purposes for which it is collected and further processed.
- More specifically, the Basic Profile and any other necessary Personal Data for the performance of the contract will be retained for 10 years after your account has been closed. The retention period of the Detailed Profile will be up to your choice. Survey Data will be required for as long as necessary for our services, including for our Clients, after which it will be deleted without undue delay.
- Personal Data of those who have made a preliminary registration but not completed their registration of the Member Agreement will be deleted after 6 months, and Rakuten Insight will cease using the account of any User who has been inactive for 1 year until the account is reactivated by logging into the service again.
- Where necessary to carry out our business operations, Rakuten Insight may disclose your Personal Data to certain trusted third party providers, including those located outside of the country where you live.
- Please be assured that we will only disclose your Personal Data in compliance with applicable law, and with the appropriate management and supervision of the relevant third parties.
- On occasion, judicial or regulatory authorities may request access to or disclosure of Personal Data about you for law enforcement purposes. Such requests typically pertain to criminal investigations or other legal proceedings. Where they are necessary and legitimate, we will respond to such requests in accordance with our internal policies and applicable law.
- Additionally, in cases where it is necessary to prevent and mitigate fraudulent or illegal activities, or to protect life, body, or property, Rakuten Insight may disclose your Personal Data to a third party, including Rakuten Insight’s parent company, subsidiaries, and affiliates to the necessary extent.
- Rakuten Insight will not use or disclose your Personal Data for purposes not set forth in this Policy without informing you and taking any necessary steps in advance as required under applicable law.
- We are committed to handling your Personal Data in accordance with high security standards and in compliance with applicable law. We do so in order to prevent unauthorized access or unauthorized disclosure of your Personal Data, to maintain the accuracy of such information and, when necessary, to ensure its proper destruction. When collecting or transferring your Personal Data, we employ data encryption technology, and restrict access only to those persons who require it to fulfil their job responsibilities. We conduct periodic reviews of our practices to ensure that our safeguards are properly implemented and remain state of the art.
- Because of the global nature of Rakuten Insight’s business, the Personal Data that we collect may be transferred to countries whose data protection laws are not as comprehensive as those in which Users are based. When Rakuten Insight transfers Personal Data overseas, we put in place appropriate safeguards to ensure or to make any third parties ensure protection of your privacy and security of your Personal Data as required under applicable laws. Appropriate data protection contractual clauses and certified Privacy Shield can be such appropriate safeguards to legitimize the international transfers of Personal Data.
- As part of Rakuten group, Rakuten Insight protects your Personal Data around the world through Rakuten’s global privacy standard. In particular, Rakuten has implemented Binding Corporate Rules, a recognized European data protection standard. Binding Corporate Rules (the "BCRs") provide for an appropriate level of protection for global data processing within us. Our rules have been approved by the relevant European Union Authorities and these are also a strong commitment to protect your privacy around the world.
Rakuten’s BCRs are available here: https://corp.rakuten.co.jp/privacy/en/bcr.html
Contact us through the online inquiry form (https://sg.m.aipsurveys.com/inquiry) or send mail to our registered address.
The User may also lodge a complaint to the Global Privacy Manager of Rakuten or a data protection authority in accordance with Rakuten’s BCRs (https://corp.rakuten.co.jp/privacy/en/bcr.html).
* GeoTrust Japan Inc. is an internet certification body, which has been adopted both in Japan and overseas.